Sunday, July 24, 2011

Space For Gardening

My garden is growing without me. Sure I weeded the whole thing once (really once) and out there the garlic is practically ready to harvest. The Shelling Peas may be in the most jumbled falling over rows, but they are producing and I have 2 tomato plants, 1 got staked, the other neglected, but I see fruit on those 2! The kale is rampant, though needing to be thinned, I had a dream of having a full raised bed bed of kale this year (that's a quarter of my garden!) I do have some turnips and chard and non germinated carrots and volunteer red leaf lettuce amongst those kale varieties, but I expect a fall abundant in kale soups and a summer of massaged kale salads.

The real issue is the weeds in the pathways that make me feel as though I'm neglecting my garden. You see this year Rafi and I made a pledge to not use the gas mower in our yard. Instead we are using human power and scything it. As you can imagine this has made for a more overgrown sense to our yard, but we feel really good about this decision. There is no 2-stroke engine creating sound and air pollution in our yard, it feels like one of the only small ways we can make a difference in energy efficiency in our lives this year. Anyways it's very difficult to trim raised bed paths with a scythe, so there are weeds around my garden, tall ones, flowering ones. Weeds I'd like to remove.

In better cared for gardening news, we have a new shrub/perennial bed this year. It is flourishing, producing blooms and medicinals and mulched with seaweed. I'm so proud of my elderberry specifically, I want the same pride in me entire garden... So universe, here's a request for some baby free, cool hours this week to work in the garden.

1 comment:

  1. Your gardens ARE looking lovely this year, Anne. I especially noticed that elderberry the other day when we were visiting. Maybe Kieran and I could take Cecelia for a walk around town and give you an hour of gardening time this week?

    ReplyDelete