Friday, July 22, 2011

Wonder, explored in 3 permutations.

A summer squash grows, and I lifted not a finger.

How long should I let Cecilia play with the wrinkly potatoes from last season that in all rights should become seed potatoes?

That 2 years has passed since we slept in that tent.

Over the last month I've been noticing some suspicious looking leaves cropping up in my chicken pen. Now there's a weed up here that looks an awful lot like some sort of squash, so I was waiting it out, that and I assumed they'd never survive the pecking of the chickens, but lo and behold it seems I have 4 summer squash plants growing in and around my chicken pen! Get this, there's even a blossom and squash forming on one.

This girl can climb, she can reach and she has clear motives of things she wants to get in. I find one of the largest jobs as a parent is deciding which option is safe for her to continue exploring and which I need to intervene in. I can often help her with activities that are questionable, making them much safer, however often she must just explore on her own. There are so many scrapes and scratches and tumbles and surprises, but I feel ultimately this will help her to learn her own boundaries. (currently she is exploring a shelling pea shell she found and is trying to lick out the peas!)

It was 2 years ago that we went camping in Vermont in that very tent, the summer we discovered Cecilia was growing inside me. Life has changed! I wonder how all of this time could have possibly passed, it feels like a lifetime ago, a different era of us, a different version of myself. Woooooshhhh..... Life change in an almost instant! And this weekend we leave to camp once more, on the way to a friends wedding, this time with child and husband in tow!

A note of apology for the lack of photos on my site... Someday time/money will allow for me to have a computer upgrade, but for the time being the sllloooooww processor in my 8 year-old machine will have to do, and there will be a photo gap. If I'm always waiting until I have enough patience to upload photos then I would never post and I'm assuming some news is better than just getting pictures?

No comments:

Post a Comment