Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Nurtured Spirit

There have been a phenomenal group of you making meals for my family in the past few weeks; I think I've cooked dinner all of 5 times since my mother died. THAT is support, THAT is friendship, THAT is community. I feel INCREDIBLY thankful and blessed by all those stirring spoons, all that love and consideration and comfort brought in the form of a casserole, a stew, a meal. Some people stayed for dinner, others we went to their homes. Some dropped off and conversed, some I never even saw. Some were provided by restaurants and were a meal out with my family. They were all providing sustenance in a time of need.

I remember being at home in Brunswick and feeling the heartbreak of grief and knowing that I had a whole community offering up their wings, supporting me, holding me off the ground, keeping me safe. I feel as though I have an endless back pocket of friendship all I have to do is reach back there, call out "help!" And there you all are with little golden arms holding me so tight. I remember being completely broken and knowing that I had all of Washington County to fall into, to cushion me, to catch me, to carry me when I was ready to collapse. The last weeks have been that collapse, that falling and you've been right there catching me. Helping me. Allowing my barely functioning body to rest.

So here I am, the motherless mother, yet I reach out and there are so many caretakers right at my fingertips. So many mothers and fathers and sisters and brothers, aunties and uncles, elders and youngers and this community holds my family. This community is my family. I may miss my blood, I may miss my homes in Cumberland County, but Washington County has an awful lot of kitchen tables which I feel mighty cozy around.

1 comment:

  1. Seriously, who wouldn't want to cook for you guys? Your warmth and spirit are manna to many. We love you, kiddo!

    ReplyDelete