Monday, June 25, 2012

The Community Potluck


What fun our community had last night!  Our first monthly Local Foods Community Potluck was a grand success with over 60 people in attendance.  It went better than I could have hoped for.  There were just people helping out everywhere I looked!  Two long tables of food were quickly filled with the season's bounty as folks arrived and we had a lovely round dessert table as well.  The line snaked across the room as the music of Celtic Schmeltic filled the room.  The energy of people greeting, eating, relaxing and socializing were a delight to behold.






What amazed me is that there were people there that I didn't know; a lot of them!  What a treat for an event facilitator to experience.  This was an event that the community was apparently waiting for and I just couldn't be more thrilled.  I kept saying to myself, and out loud that as long as it didn't go horribly we could continue, (I'd even accept mediocre), but there was no problem there!  The place was packed!  Every seat was used and every plate had to be washed.  That was remarkable within itself, without even having to set foot in the kitchen myself suddenly the kitchen was filled with people hoping to get a chance to wash some dishes.  That is community!

A little brainstorm that Sally and I had back in the cold winter  was incubated and helped along by Chris at The Arts Center and we were able to hatch it into a wonderful community event that we can look forward to each and every month.  I am feeling so proud right now.

Thank-you all so much, and mark the last Sunday of each month on your calendars!

No comments:

Post a Comment