Thursday, June 14, 2012

Our First Harvest


I went out to the garden this morning to examine post rain shower, and what do you think I found?  That the radish bulges were really starting to bulge in places, so down I kneeled, examining, moving in a circle around the bed.  I brushed some dirt away from a few swollen roots.  I hemmed, I hawed.  Then I reached in and plucked, a few reds, a few whites and even a purple.

Very suddenly my garden helper appeared from feeding the chickens their morning grass as I was spraying the dirt off of the young radishes.  She then did the heavy work of carrying our harvest inside. 



Then of course came the tasting.  The sweet tender, with the sharp spicy aftertaste of the first picked radish of the season.  Worth the wait.


1 comment:

  1. Oh YUM. I love reading about your family. You guys are so durn lovely.

    ReplyDelete