Thursday, January 31, 2013

No Power


This morning Rafi and I were laying in bed, both awake before the alarm went off with Cecilia having slept in her own bed all night, (an anomaly I assure you), and the air purifier clicked off.  Thus we discovered an hour without electricity at sunrise.  We went to get the girl and snuggled in bed explaining to Cecilia about not having power and fetched her a flashlight to play with.  As we made our way downstairs in the dark we lit the candles on the table.  While Rafi & Cecilia made scrambled eggs I loaded the dishwasher with yesterdays forgotten dirty dishes and remembered to just enjoy a life without electricity just for a few moments.

It was quieter.  The wind raced outside, but there were no street lights.  It made me feel fond for a simpler way of life, and I longed for a woodstove to heat water upon.  It found me daydreaming about a different place to live, a simpler home with less amenities, and more chores to keep me regular through my day.


But then the hum turned back on, the lights came on and I was glad to turn my computer on for the internet and the day's work ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment