Tuesday, September 20, 2011

That Warm-Up Cup

My new favorite feeling is coming to the kitchen, early in the morning and watching the sunrise by myself. I love the feeling of turning the lights on and then turning them back off again as the warmth of the sun hits the dining room table. Slippers and Sweaters to combat the chilly air. Murmurings from upstairs tell me my solitude will soon end. I flick the switch of the espresso machine and the two little lights come on, I run the water in the sink 'til it's hot and I fill my cup to pre-warm it for my special brew. Grind Grind Grind coffee and pack the beans into the machine. Flick! One of the lights go off and it's time to get this coffee started! As the espresso starts pouring it's dark delicious flavor I rush to the fridge to get the Jersey creamline milk and pour it into my stainless steel pitcher. As the creme comes down I turn the espresso machine to pause and allow it to heat up once again and take a quarter teaspoon of honey from the jar and place it into my espresso; it will dissolve away and take some bitterness with it. Flick! The light goes off again and it's time to steam the milk, I plunge the steam wand into the cold milk and let it sit on the bottom till I can feel heat through the pitcher, I then raise the wand to the very surface of the milk and the steam begins creating the most beautiful foam that rises up the sides of the pitcher. Steam Off! Machine Off! Tamp foamy milk on the counter to settle all the air bubbles and pour your beautiful milk into the dark coffee cup. Sit down at the table and enjoy, just as the color begins to fade from the sunrise, and the morning begins as your sleepy family makes it's way down the staircase.

1 comment: