Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Smell Of Cedar.

I have developed a new skill. I can install shingles. I can also use an air compressor nail gun. I can put a dummy up by myself, space the shingles properly and affix them to the wall. I can insure that each shingle is cupped to the wall, that the edges do not line up with the row below it, or the row below that. I can handle cutting around little features like electrical boxes and porches. I can feel equipped well enough that I buy my own speed square, utility knife and measuring tape. My chamois shirt already has nails and a pencil in the pockets. I can do all of this relatively adeptly and swiftly. I can also make errors and learn from them and fix them. I can step back from the wall of my house and feel pride in the work I have accomplished.

1 comment: