Wednesday, July 25, 2012

I call YOU to Action!

Hello Friends,

In November Maine has a very important job to do.  It will have the ability to allow everyone living in our grand state to have the Freedom to Marry.  This is something I personally feel very strongly about and want to ensure that come November the state I live in is a fair and just place to live in; for me, my children and all of my friends and family. (qualifier: at least in civil rights surrounding marriage!)

I call each of you to attention!  It is our individual voices that make the difference in this campaign.  It is straight and queer people walking together, standing together, speaking the truth and being allies on this issue that creates change. 

If you don't live in Maine I guarantee there is a similar group in your state.  Get informed, join a facebook page (In Washington County: https://www.facebook.com/groups/312803908799825/) or at the very least go poke around www.mainersunited.org to learn more.  If you don't want to be an advocate vocally, donate money to help those of us who are ready to be loud. 

Refuse to sit idly by and allow another election go by.  I want to live in a state where if my life partner was a woman which it very well could have been, I could have the same societal benefits and the comfort that marriage provides in my life.  I also want my children to live in a state where there is acceptance and peace.  Don't you want that for your children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren?

Thanks for your moments this morning, I appreciate your time.  I'll step down from the soapbox now.

Upcoming Events in Washington County (email me anneshieldshopkins@gmail.com for more info):

PARADES:  
Milbridge Days on July 28
International Festival in Calais on Aug 11
and there will be one in The Pirate Festival in Eastport

OR COME TO A MEETING:   Campaign Update and One - on- One conversation training 
Wed, Aug 1,   6:00 - 8:00 Kay Parker Building in Machias
Thursday Aug 2,   6:00 - 8:00 at Unitarian Church in Eastport
Monday  Aug 6,  6:00 - 8:00 Location TBA in Calais     

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for information here on ways everyone can get involved and help. (Soapboxes are good sometimes. )

    ReplyDelete