Thursday, July 12, 2012

My Very Own Perennial Herb Garden


Now this is something I've been wanting to create in my life for ages.  A thick, lush herb garden, that I don't have to do anything to.  A garden full of eating that regenerates itself every year.  A bed thick with herbs, some for self seeding and some with thick healthy root systems.  A bed that I can eventually divide out of and share the wealth as my plants become overgrown over the years.  A place I can go to harvest many of my seasonings for drying for wintertime cooking.  It is a lovely place to retreat to this herb garden of mine.  Full of plants with history, plants that I feel triumphant for growing and so much delicious flavor.  Oh and the smells!  The smells are beautiful!

 Lavender from The Beavers on our left,
Bee Balm from Amy at the top
& "Chocolate" Mint on our right from Robert.

Lovely Anise Hyssop with it's licoricey bite on our left, from Gram's house,
& the Chamomile begins to blossom for calming teas this winter.

Flat Leaf Parsley transplanted from Tide Mill Organic Farm seedlings
& my true triumph, Dill, this is my fourth year trying to grow this and I'll have a bounty this year!

 The Echinecea is building it's blossom, a plant from Rachel Bell
& Rhubarb from Dick & Jean is putting on quite a display to it's left.
 
There's this lovely Common Sage from Gram in the foreground
& the giant Bee Balm is just behind it again.

There's other plants that didn't get found by my lens this morning, a French Tarragon, Thyme and Rosemary that were all self chosen mother's day present this year and a hearty Oregano plant from Gram's house.  The basil is relegated to it's own partial bed to ensure a hearty harvest for fresh eating, pestos and drying.  A few of these plants I will have to transplant indoors this fall as they cannot endure the hearty winter, and a few will hopefully self seed, but I may have to add a few seeds each year guarantee a hearty crop.  The wonderful part is the plants are getting so big and healthy I hardly have to weed!

What a lovely place to wander, amongst an herb garden.  Oh, and what fun to eat out of it!

1 comment: