Thursday, August 4, 2011

New Family Members!

Of the chick variety! Our sweet, sweet little Blaise went totally broody several months ago, she has currently been sitting on a batch of fertilized eggs from Kilby Ridge Farm in Dennysville for 3 weeks! Yesterday just as Ce and I were headed off to Tide Mill Farm (for a fab-u-lous party) I popped my head in the coop to see if Rosie, our bantam alpha chicken, had left any eggs for us. When I reached under Blaise to see if she had hidden the Rosie eggs under her I discovered a brand new little baby chick head! Black, with little white markings! Cute! Blaise was none to happy with me disturbing her and her babies, and quickly tucked little black headed chick back under her. I thought I just caught a flash of some new little crumpled freshly hatched chicky legs, and Blaise was carefully eating shell from the new arrival!

This morning upon checking there are 2 new little heads poking out under Mama, and little cheep cheep sounds emanating from the coop. I held the waterer up for Blaise and she rapidly began drinking from her post, I also put in a few handfuls of feed as I figured she must be getting hungry, I know a fresh Mama would never leave her nest at a time like this. We are so proud of our little Blaisey Girl, who we raised from when she was a day old and now she's a Mid-Summer Mama!

1 comment: