Thursday, August 18, 2011

Reintroduction to Green Juice

I'm in the middle of a late-summer/post-childbirth/post-weaning cleanse. It started 4 weeks ago when I cut meat out of my diet. 3 weeks later I removed alcohol and coffee. Then on Monday I moved to an all raw food diet. In the next few days I will begin my green juice cleanse; dark leafy greens, cucumbers and celery run through my juicer. Thus far I'm feeling really strong, excited and great overall.

This is something I did periodically at the end of the time I lived in New York, and sure, at that time it had an aspect of control to it, but despite that I do know that it helped me to be a much clearer person... maybe even helped me to make the decision to move to Trescott and consequently meet the love of my life and introduce my wonderful chaos maker into the world. So really I have a lot of thanks to give to green juice. And no I don't think the raw foods lifestyle is one I would want to sustain year-round personally, and yes I'm totally stoked to eat lots of cheesy/wheaty/meaty foods again. However for this moment when there are SO MANY fresh vegetables available to me, and my body has been oh so cluttered for the past 2 years growing another person, I am excited to give it a moment to reset! So out comes the Green Juice!

I could already feel my metabolism shifting a few weeks after I weaned Cecilia, and my body began shedding excess on it's own. It felt like overnight my body let go of all this baby fat it had been keeping to help feed Cecilia with. Though I'm normally pretty level headed about my weight/size, I was starting to feel "weighed down" by all the extra I was carrying around, and was quite pleased to let it go. So while my body was releasing anyways, and while lots of fresh, organic, delicious vegetables were becoming increasingly available to me I found I wanted to detox more and chose going vegetarian as a first step. And I began making green juice to have some daily, and then found myself waking one morning and deciding to go raw that very day (and Cecilia even likes the green juice)!

I've been eating bowls of blueberries for breakfast, plates of salads for lunch, avocados, soaked almonds and raisins for snacks, and almond/apricot/southwestern spiced pate with salsa on chard leaves for dinner. Not to mention blended frozen blueberry/strawberry/peach puree as a sorbet for dessert. It's not a rough life at all going raw for a few days!

So next step is to fast with green juice supplying me with all the minerals and nutrients my body needs to sustain itself and help detoxify myself. I'm most excited about the break this is giving to my intestinal track, I often worry about how all the rich heavy foods must build up in my intestines. Mostly I see a real difference in how I'm approaching this particular cleanse then when I lived in New York, at that point I believed that cleansing would be some sort of answer to my life, if I did every component correctly, and followed protocol I would have enlightenment, but no it's so different this time around. I'm so content to use the knowledge that my body is supplying me with to make decisions of when and how to cleanse; I feel as though this is a part of my process of healing my body from childbearing. Mostly it's trust I feel in this organism my soul is living in and feel confident that I'm helping her out! And that is exciting to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment