Thursday, October 13, 2011

a fear.

Yesterday I put a case of frost sweetened broccoli in the freezer; this felt really good, tremendously good even. As I was chopping and blanching and cooling and straining yesterday I was daydreaming about my new garden beds for next year and planning on planting one bed full of broccoli. It was a lovely dream and I felt great. I was also thinking of the delicious Thai curries, stir-fries and other dishes I was going to prepare with all of these little trees.

Then I was working on our menu plan for the next week, which is something I've started doing that has relieved a bit of stress for me, it helps me to take things out of the freezer in time, or to make more complicated meals on days when I have more time and save the easy meals for nights when I have yoga or Eat Local Eastport. Rafi likes it too and it seems to keep one conversation smoother; I can also plan for when we have some food item we need to use up. That's right I've become one of those homemakers/mothers who has a menu on the fridge, but it's helpful! Also I'm hoping it will keep us out of the IGA a wee bit.

Anyways the fear that crept in while planning meals and putting broccoli away is that I have put A LOT of food in the freezer this year. I've put so many vegetables in there that I'm hoping we'll only have to buy salad greens through the winter. My fear is that I won't enjoy cooking with all these frozen vegetables. I don't really know how to use frozen veg, I've never used them before to this extent. I'm afraid I'll be bored by them, think they taste bad or that we'll just end up eating the same mushy vegetable dishes over and over again. I feel some confidence that I'll learn to cook with them, but it will be an adjustment to use wilted kale, green beans and broccoli, and I hold some fear in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment