Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Speaking At Her Service

What do you say at your mother's Memorial Service? What are the words that make sense, that bring peace? That celebrate and remember her? Do I speak of her role as a mother? Her soul as a being of this earth? Is it quiet tears that I shed or sweet beautiful hope that I spread? Do I create poetry or song or story for the occasion? When will the words come to me that I want to speak? Will it be the middle of the night, or halfway through a latte, while I'm holding Cecilia's hand, or holding my breath? Will I be sitting near her ashes or in the middle of the garden? Will I be clipping my toenails when inspiration strikes?

I want to provide peace, closure, solace in the words I speak. I want to speak of hope and her enthusiasm and joy. I want to remind people to meet someone new in the reception hall, because that's what Becky would do.

2 comments:

  1. it seems like you're well on your way. if your words at the memorial are as thoughtful and true as the words you've shared here, everyone will go home with special memories and a lasting picture of your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister, Elizabeth, said she just started writing 2 hours beforehand, though maybe she's only functional on a deadline. I thought it was really beautiful. I'm sure whatever you say will be beautiful, too.

    ReplyDelete